In observance of National Military Appreciation Month and Month of the Military Caregiver, Hidden Heroes and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration (SAMHSA) Voice Awards* will be co-hosting a blog week from Monday, May 22 to Saturday, May 27.
During that week, we invite you to write and share blog posts using the daily prompts (below) that focus on America’s military and veteran communities. Please consider sharing your own story of resilience/recovery, or information on how service members, veterans, their caregivers, and families have successfully addressed mental health and/or addiction challenges.
We ask that you write your post on your own organizational or personal blog and show your support by including the Voice Awards Blog Week Badge, and linking back to SAMHSA Voice Awards or Hidden Heroes. We will then showcase all submitted blogs on HiddenHeroes.org/news throughout Blog Week. You can also join the blog conversation on social media by using the hashtag #VoiceAwards.
BLOG WEEK ACTIVITY – DAILY PROMPTS
Each day, from May 22 to May 28, we invite you to respond to the corresponding prompt below. Please feel free to respond to as many prompts as you would like. Blog posts can take any format (text, video, images, etc.) and can be as long or as short as you like.
Monday, May 22 (Family & Caregiver Focus)
- In your experience, what are the best ways to support military and veteran families and caregivers who face mental health and addiction challenges
Tuesday, May 23 (Individual & Family Focus)
- Service members returning from deployments often face various reintegration challenges. What has helped you and your loved ones reconnect and improve the transition home following a deployment?
Wednesday, May 24 (Entertainment Focus)
- Have you seen a television show or film that features the resilience and strength of America’s service members, veterans, and their families? How did the production accurately and respectfully portray the experiences and impact of military service? What can television shows and films do to improve their portrayals of the military and veteran communities?
Thursday, May 25 (Community Focus)
- Who has championed awareness and education about mental health and/or addiction issues in the military and veteran communities? Tells us how they are making a difference in your local community.
Friday, May 26 (Organization Focus)
- When serving the military and veteran communities, what are some important factors to consider in providing access to benefits, treatment and services, and community resources necessary to support their wide-range of needs?
Saturday, May 27 (Memorial Day Focus)
- On this important weekend of remembrance and reflection, share with us how you:
- Care for and honor those who have lost a loved one while serving our nation.
- Honor the memory of those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our nation; and
To submit your blog or find out more, contact Kate Fink at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 248-5460.
*SAMHSA’s Voice Awards honors people in recovery and their family members who are community champions to improve the lives of people with mental illnesses and addictions. It also recognizes television and film productions that educate the public about behavioral health and showcase that recovery is real and possible. In 2017, the Voice Awards is putting the spotlight on individuals and entertainment productions that provide hope and support to past and present service members who have faced mental health and addiction challenges.